Flared Skirt 2This flared skirt is created with the 1-Dart Block. It has a substantial amount of flare, and if you wanted any more flare you would draft the three-quarter or full circle skirts. (Scroll down to the bottom of the A-Line & Flared Skirts page to see a comparison of the final shapes of the 2 A-line and 2 Flare skirts in this menu).
Example: OutcomeFigure A shows the final flared skirts overlaid on the original 2-Dart block.
Instructions: Drafting Flared Skirt 02 – Figure 1
- Trace the 1-Dart Block onto paper.
- Make sure you mark the dart legs, the dart points and the hip notches.
Instructions: Drafting Flared Skirt 02 – Figure 2Remove your block after you have finished tracing and marking points, then:
- Draw in the darts.
- Mark the CF and CB on the working pattern pieces.
- Draw lines from the hem to the waist dart points, squaring up from the hemline.
Instructions: Drafting Flared Skirt 02 – Figure 3
- Add two more lines on both front and back, dividing each panel at the hem and squaring up. These will be cutting lines.
- Cut out the darts completely.
Instructions: Drafting Flared Skirt 02 – Figure 4
- Cut along the lines, leaving hinges at the dart point for the center line, and at the waist for the other two (shown on the Front pattern in the image).
- We will cut and spread so there is a 5 inch insertion in the three openings (for the front and back).
Note the following:
- In the center where the dart is, you will need to pivot on the dart point.
- If you close the dart and you still do not have a 5-inch insertion, then hinge and pivot from the waist after that point. (This will happen if you have a large waist and therefore a small dart).(Shown in the Figure 4 with the back pattern piece)
- Note that if the dart does not fully close when you have added the 5 inches in the hem, you can shave off the value of the dart from the side seam. (Shown in Figure 5).
Instructions: Drafting Flared Skirt 02 – Figure 5In this image I am showing you just the back, and you will need to repeat with the front.
- Spread so there is 5 inches in each insertion.
- Add 2.5 inch extension at the side.
*This skirt may be too wide for some fabric
Instructions: Drafting Flared Skirt 02 – Figure 6
- Draw out the final shape
- Mark the grainline. (This skirt can be cut on the bias, see the Notes section following).
- You may need to rework the hem after creating the garment and letting it hang for a while.