Grown on Facing (Button Stand)When adding facing to a button stand, you can choose to have the facing as either:
- a separate pattern piece, or
- as an extension to the bodice pattern piece, also termed grown-on.
Instructions (Grown-on Facing with Button Stand) – Image 1The first few steps for the grown-on facing are the same as the separate pattern piece:
- Draw the neckline on the Bodice Block.
- Trace the block and transfer the design line.
- Add the button extension width* to the CF – shown in the image by the dashed red line.
* This will depend on the width of your button. I am making the extension 0.5-inches, as that is the diameter of the button.
Instructions (Grown-on Facing with Button Stand) – Image 2
- Step A: Draw the facing; the width is 2-inches at the shoulder and 3-inches at the CF. These widths are measured at the seam line.
- Step B; Trace the facing from Step A, flip it over and add the facing shape to the Bodice Front.
Instructions (Grown-on Facing with Button Stand) – Image 3
- Add seam allowance to your Bodice Front, and you have a Bodice/Facing piece all in one.