About This WebsiteThis website is a work in progress. I went live on 1 January 2018 with a fair amount of content; mainly Principles and Block Making Instructions At this time I also had a few Elements and four patterns. I hope be adding a new pattern with the relevant details in the Elements pages on a monthly basis – e.g. a Pattern with Raglan Sleeve will mean adding the instructions for making the pattern plus adding the details of the Raglan Sleeve to the Elements Pages. Below is a summary of the information and products available on this website at the time it went live. At the very bottom is a list of what I plan to add to the website on an ongoing basic.
Directions on how to make your own personalized blocks for:
- Close Fitting Bodice Block
- Sleeve Block (a Fitted Sleeve for the Close Fitting Bodice Block)
- 2-Dart Skirt Block
- Pants Block
- Sleeveless Block
- Torso Block
- 1-Dart Skirt Block
- Extended Line Dress Block
Basic Principles of Patternmaking:
- An overview of patternmaking
- Manipulating Darts
- Added Fullness
- Button Extension
- 6 collars
- 4 sleeves
Down-loadable BlocksThese Blocks can be purchased, downloaded and printed on A4 paper. Instructions and a sample are given. You can refer to the list of measurements each Block is made for, and find if there are ones (Bodice Block, Pants Block, etc) that fit you. If you just don’t want to be bothered making your own, or if it seems too hard. They were made by grading a middle-sized pattern made for a Standard Figure.
Third Scale Blocks for working through the Pattern Making examples – for practice.Practice making the patterns with Third Scale Blocks. All you will need is a bit of cardboard to stick the Third Scale Block onto, some scissors, paper and pencil, and you can work through the Patternmaking exercises. Once you do enough exercises and patterns, you will learn the theory and be able to apply it to making your own patterns. Which you then use to create your own designs.
ArticlesThere are a number of articles; some with general information, some with detailed explanations.
The following will be added over the course of the next year:
- More collars, sleeves, skirts, etc.
- Personalized Block Making Service: You supply the measurements, I will send you your printable blocks. You will have to supply the cardboard to create a working block.
- Fitting Issues pages: Covering how to make adjustments to Commercial Patterns, and details on how, if you make your own personalized block using the directions on this website, you will avoid this problem in your own block.